The ASCO Annual Meeting brings together more than 38,000 oncology professionals from around the world to discuss state-of-the-art treatment modalities, new therapies, and ongoing controversies in the field. Delivering Discoveries: Expanding the Reach of Precision Medicine is the theme for this year’s Meeting. Oncologists are driving progress by delivering care that is truly personalized and with exciting advances in immunotherapy treatments, patients are experiencing longer survival rates. Discover emerging data and novel research through abstracts showcased in Oral Abstract Sessions, a new ASCO Voices session, book club, and Poster Presentations with networking events.
Attendees can log in to the iPlanner or CE Portal to access any of the following certificates after noting their participation:
- Continuing Medical Education Certificate – available for physicians who would like to receive CME credits for their participation at the Meeting
- Continuing Nursing Education Certificate – available for nurses who would like to receive CE credits for their participation at the Meeting
- Continuing Pharmacy Education Certificate – available for pharmacists who would like to receive CE credits for their participation at the Meeting
- Certificate of Participation – all other attendees may request a Certificate of Participation after recording their session participation. Please note that all final decisions regarding certificate acceptance toward any licensure requirements will be made by the licensing organization to which the certificate is submitted.
- Certificate of Attendance – Attendees can download a Certificate of Attendance from the Attendee Resource Center if they need a record of their attendance at the Meeting but do not require documentation for continuing education purposes. Please note that this certificate does not award any continuing education credits.
For instructions on how to claim credit and access certificates, please see the ‘Meeting Feedback and Credit Claim Instructions’ section.
Meeting Feedback and Credit Claim Instructions
Every participant is encouraged to submit a Meeting Feedback Form, provide session ratings, and access certificates for the Meeting through the iPlanner app or CE Portal. Your feedback is utilized by leadership to enhance programs, develop new initiatives, gauge educational impact, and plan for future meetings.
- To provide feedback on a specific session
- Download the iPlanner app
- Select a session by searching by time or track
- Select "Rate This Session" to submit feedback on each session you attend
- To access certificates and claim credit
- Log in to the CE Portal using your ASCO.org username and password
- Select the appropriate meeting and your role
- Select “CME Certificate” to claim credit and download the certificate
- To give overall feedback on the meeting
- Log in to the CE Portal using your ASCO.org username and password
- Select “Provide Meeting Feedback” to submit your feedback on the meeting
To receive ABIM or ABP MOC points, participants must submit their Meeting Feedback Form and claim their CME credits in the CE Portal for the Meeting by July 9, 2018. Once both steps are complete, ASCO will transmit all information to ABIM on the participant’s behalf.
Accreditation and Designation Statement
In support of improving patient care, the American Society of Clinical Oncology is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
AMA Credit Designation Statement - Physicians
This activity is approved for 39.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
ANCC Credit Designation Statement - Nurses
This CE activity is approved for 39.0 ANCC contact hours.
ACPE Credit Designation Statement – Pharmacists
This activity has been approved for 39.0 ACPE contact hours (CEUs).
AAPA/NCCPA Credit Designation Statement – PAs
PAs may claim a maximum of 39.0 Category 1 credits for completing this activity. NCCPA accepts AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME or a recognized state medical society.
All non-physician attendees are welcome to submit a request for a Certificate of Participation, which may enable non-physicians to apply their meeting participation toward re-licensure. Please note, however, that all final decisions regarding certificate acceptance will be made by the licensing organization to which the certificate is submitted.
The Annual Meeting is designed for the oncology team; credit is offered for physicians, nurses and pharmacists, but all oncology healthcare professionals are encouraged to participate, and they may be able to apply for credit through their own licensing organization.
Educational Needs Statement
"Delivering Discoveries: Expanding the Reach of Precision Medicine” has been selected as the theme for the 54th ASCO Annual Meeting to highlight the increasing impact of precision medicine and expand the number of patients with cancer who could benefit from these new options for treatment. Precision medicine provides opportunities to deliver truly personalized care that takes into consideration each individual’s unique genetics, environment, and health status to diagnose and/or manage their cancer. Since 2014, the pace of FDA approvals for precision therapeutics in cancer has been especially rapid, with development expected to continue at a similar pace. These new therapies are unlike traditional cytotoxic chemotherapy, but also include distinct adverse effects that require careful clinical management.
As therapies and indications for more disease types become available, oncology professionals need practical guidance on how to best select, implement, and monitor these agents to achieve optimal outcomes for patients. Unfortunately, many clinicians have significant knowledge and practice gaps related to precision medicine, limiting its current reach to patients; however, most report a positive view of precision medicine and a desire for additional education. ASCO seeks to employ a diverse range of educational strategies to enable the implementation of precision medicine by the oncology care team, bolster clinical research, and support the sharing of best practices among its learners from around the globe.
After participation in this activity, attendees will be better able to
- Collaborate across different specialties and with all members of the oncology care team to provide effective and patient-centered treatment and supportive care;
- Employ novel diagnostic and treatment approaches, including those based on genomics, to facilitate the integration of precision medicine into comprehensive care plans for patients with cancer;
- Incorporate new evidence as appropriate into the development of innovative clinical strategies and research trial designs to improve patient outcomes;
- Examine scientific advances regarding cancer biology and the tumor microenvironment, pathogenesis, and mechanisms of action for emerging therapies that can more accurately guide diagnosis and decisions for treatment;
- Review recent and emerging data from key studies in clinical and translational cancer research, comparing global strategies and evaluating multi-modal approaches to patient care; and
- Effectively communicate with colleagues and with patients regarding the characteristics that can be used to compare the overall value of different treatment options.
Disclaimer and Unlabeled Usage Statement
The information presented is that of the contributing faculty and presenters and does not necessarily represent the views of the American Society of Clinical Oncology or any named company or organization providing financial support. Specific therapies discussed may not be approved and/or specified for use as indicated by the faculty or presenters. Therefore, before presenting any medication, please review the complete prescribing information including indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, and adverse effects.
ASCO and Conquer Cancer gratefully awknowledge the following companies for their support of the 2018 ASCO Annual Meeting:
|Janssen||Kidney Cancer Association||Lilly|
|Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research||Merck||Novartis|